Here are some tips from Web Warrior Marketing on designing an SEO-friendly website:
1. HTML instead of FLASH – a website can have bits of flash parts incorporated to jazz the site up,
but ensure there is adequate room for text on each page of the website
2. Don’t use frames – search engine spiders have a difficult time crawling through websites with frames
3. Black font on a white or lighter-colored background is easier to read than the reverse – you don’t want to strain people’s eyes…they will leave
4. Images are great – but not when it is a whole page of images – search engines see images as blank space…they need text to grab onto…use a mix of both
5. Have a site map
6. Ensure all important info on home page is above the fold – meaning what shows on screen without having to scroll down – many people don’t scroll down – so get their attention asap
7. Search engines love fresh content and visit sites much more often that are updated regularly. Depending on the website, you may not be able to change your content yourself (or may even not really have anything to change it to)…so having a WordPress blog incorporated as a page on your website that has the same look as your website is an excellent way to do this…and is also a great way to keep people coming back to your website!
8. 10+ pages is ideal….the more pages, the more different keyword phrases can be used specific to each page
9. User-friendly – when someone lands on your page, make it easy for them to find what they are looking for – organization is key
10. If you want to set-up a Twitter page for your business, add an icon onto your website that people can click to access your Twitter page. Twitter is huge in social networking and is a great way to reach people you wouldn’t normally be able to reach or connect with…it is also a great way to link back to your site and possibly get other people linking to your site (blog postings etc.)
Feel free to ask Web Warrior any questions you may have about your current or future website in terms of website promotion. Our Vancouver SEO company can help clients throughout Canada and the USA.